Foundation of the Club

In 1885 a small band of devotees got together to form the Toy Spaniel Club. Each colour at the time was judged separately; the King Charles (Black and Tan), the Blenheim (Red and White), the Prince Charles (Tri-Colour) and Ruby (Red).in 1902 at a meeting held at the Crystal Palace, it was decided that, as all four varieties could be produced in one litter, they must all be the same family; and as the breed had existed with the historic name of King Charles Spaniel since the time of the Merry Monarch, they wished the Club to known as the King Charles Spaniel Club. The Kennel Club, on the other hand, wished to keep the name English Toy Spaniel, Sub-divided by Colour.

An appeal was made by the powerful friends of the club to the King himself. His Majesty Edward V11 let it be known to the Kennel club that he wished the Toy Spaniel Club in future to be known by its historic name of the King Charles Spaniel Club. The kennel Club naturally bowed to his royal wish. It is interesting to note that the early shows in 1885 mustered a mere couple of dozen dogs. But in 1904 the entry had risen to 109 dogs. The first official standard was adopted by the Toy Spaniel Club in 1885, and is illustrated with the woodcuts of Victorian artist. Arthur Wardle.